As one enters the Baptistry a mural of the Baptism of Clovis (on December 25, 496 A.D.) is immediately seen. Here, again, a French theme is sounded in the choice of Clovis, first Christian King of the Franks.
This mural was also painted by E. Richard Panzironi, who also executed the appliqués in the chancel. The theme of Baptism in this mural is continued in the stained glass window to your right, depicting the Baptism of Christ by Saint John the Baptist.
The font, of white Carrara marble with stem columns of yellow Siena marble (like the main altar), is the center and focus of the Baptistry. The basin of the font, when not in use, is covered by a great bronze lid, which is raised and lowered on a cable.
It was most unusual, in 1904, for a Baptistry to be located in the front of the church, as here at Saint Francis Xavier. Normally Baptistries were found at the rear of the church, adjacent to the narthex or vestibule.